Welcome back! I’m so glad you’re here ☺️
Today I’m chatting about a few of my best tips for healthy hair. I feel pretty blessed to have healthy hair, even after all the harsh medications and being anemic for a few years. There was a short period where my hair was suffering because of my autoimmune disease and being very ill, but my hair is resilient and has improved greatly over the last year.
Four Tips for Healthy Hair
I’m sure you’ve heard of biotin and collagen, right? Well, they’ve been LIFESAVERS for my hair! I’ve used a few and I’ll list them below, along with the current vitamins I’m taking.
- Olly Undeniable Beauty. A great vitamin for the maintaining and growth overall. I can tell a difference in my hair since taking these supplements, which has been about a year now. My hair is strong and shiny, and feels super healthy to the touch!
- Olly Vibrant Skin. I’m currently using this for the collagen supplement and I love it! This supplement has helped with the shine and regrowth of my lost hair around my hairline.
- Garden of Life Collagen ($$$). When I got really sick last year, I started losing hair rapidly. I was anemic, couldn’t keep any food in my body so I wasn’t absorbing any nutrients. Overall, my hair and skin suffered greatly. This is the first collagen vitamin I started taking, but have since switched to the Olly brand because it’s more affordable and seems to do the job pretty well!
- Sugar Bear Hair. Ok I know what you’re thinking, and no I don’t sell these vitamins. But, I have taken them several times, and I like them! They’re a bit expensive so I’ve since switched to the Olly brand. I hate to break it to those who hate on this brand, but THEY WORK. 🤷🏻♀️ I used them before they were hugely popular on Instagram. I was actually served a Facebook ad about the vitamins, and I bought them and used them for a year and a half before switching to Olly (I would buy the 3 month supply, use the supply, and take a break for a few months and then reorder). Make fun of me all you want, but I saw great results with these vitamins. I know they’re popular among the Instagram models and Bachelor contestants, and I’ve seen a lot of hate/poking fun because of that, but the vitamin is quality and actually worked for me.
Reduce Heat Usage.
I swear by this! I let my hair air-dry, and apply a few products to tame the friz on most days. The less tools you use on your hair, the healthier it will be naturally. If you’re used to blowing out, flat ironing or curling your hair everyday, this will be a hard habit to form. Start slowly on the weekends and give your hair a break! I’m not a hair stylist, but I can tell you that heat is so damaging to your hair no matter how many protectants you use.
My favorite products to use for a natural hair look are:
- Living Proof Texture Spray
- Not Your Mother’s Sea Salt Spray
- WEN Nourishing Mousse (a newer product I’ve started using but I AM OBSESSED.)
My hair has retained so much of it’s integrity because I only style my hair once or twice a week. Most days I don’t even use a product in it after I shower. I just let it air dry, especially in the summer time. I love the look of my natural wave. It’s totally uncontrolled but I love it!
Nisim FAST Shampoo and Conditioner.
I’ve been using this product on and off for about… 8 years? Since I was around 20 years old I think. I found it one night when I was scouring the internet after a bad haircut and needed my hair to grow, grow, grow! Much to my surprise, it worked! I’m sure there are a ton of skeptics who say scientifically it just doesn’t work that way, but in my experience, it worked like a dream. My hair gets thicker and bouncier when I’m using this shampoo/conditioner, which I love.
I go to this shampoo/conditioner duo anytime I feel like I need a refresh now. I tend to grow my hair and chop it off more often than not, so it’s definitely nice to give my hair a little boost when I want to add some length naturally. Totally recommend it to try! I’ve used it for years and I love it!
Invest in a quality hair stylist that will tell you no.
Ok, this has been a game changer for me. My hairstylist won’t do anything to my hair that will damage the health, making sure that the integrity of my hair is kept. I tend to get bored with my hair quickly, and I love adding color to my hair. My stylist is one of those that will do the color change in stages because too much at once can seriously damage your hair resulting in breakage and slow growth. Since getting into her chair about a year ago, my hair health has greatly improved and never looked better!
I encourage you to find a stylist that will be real with you, and not simply take your money & do whatever you want. While pleasing you is ultimately the goal, getting your hair to the level you want it usually takes time. Any quality stylist will tell you that. If you have dark brown hair and want to go blonde, and your stylist will do that for you in one sitting… I would run away quickly.
Obviously I am not a hair stylist and I do not have training in this profession, so proceed with caution. This is what I’ve learned from my hair stylist and I am pleased with how healthy my hair is.
Healthy hair is something I think all women want and can relate to. I hope that these tips are helpful if you’re feeling the struggle with dull hair, wanting your hair to grow a little faster, or just wanting to upgrade your hair health! I hope you’ll try a few of these tips out!
Thank you so much for reading & for your support! I appreciate you 🤗
Catch up on my latest posts here! Leave some love if you feel so inclined 😘